Also known as Liposculpture, Tumescent Liposuction is the easier, safer, and gentler on the body than traditional liposuction. At Houston Smart Lipo Centers, this permanent procedure produces noticeable results, reducing fat and tightening skin for a slimmer, younger-looking body.
What is Tumescent Liposuction?
Tumescent Liposuction is any liposuction procedure that is performed using Tumescent Fluid. Tumescent Fluid is a dilute lidocaine solution that is used to numb the fatty area. All liposuction surgery performed at Houston Smart Lipo Centers is performed using the tumescent technique.
Our liposuction centers use a combination of modalities which may include Smart Lipo Laser Liposuction, Vaser Liposuction, and Power Assisted Liposuction. Because all of these procedures are done using only local numbing, Tumescent Fluid, all Liposuction done at our centers is a form of Tumescent Liposuction, also known as Liposculture.
The Benefits of Tumescent Liposuction:
- Minimally invasive: A Tumescent Liposuction procedure usually only involves only one or two incisions on each body part. And, Tumescent Liposuction is a completely outpatient procedure that uses local anesthetic, not heavy sedation or general anesthesia.
- Less scarring: At Houston Smart Lipo Centers, we generally use only 2mm incisions (about the size of an angel hair pasta noodle). Entry points will naturally close within 48 hours, eventually fading into the surrounding skin. The best part No stitches - ever.
- Less pain: Because the cannula, or straw used for sucking fat away, we use is smaller than those used in traditional liposuction, Tumescent Liposuction takes a little longer, but the movements are gentler on the body. Patients don't have to worry about aggressive movements or severe bruising that can be common with traditional liposuction. The procedure is so gentle that patients normally experience only mild discomfort, similar to the muscle ache after a heavy workout.
- Faster recovery: Because the procedure is minimally invasive and uses only local anesthesia, our patients are able to walk out of our offices after the procedure with their new, sculpted bodies. Patients are able to return to work within a day or two and participate in light to medium physical activities within 48 hours.
- Safer procedure: Most serious complications from liposuction are directly or indirectly associated with the general anesthesia. Because patients are fully awake during Tumescent Liposuction, there's very little risk of serious complications. The lines of communication between patient and doctor are fully open - so patients can express any unusual discomfort - making Tumescent Liposuction a safer procedure than conventional methods
- Permanent results: Tumescent Liposuction can achieve the same great results as traditional liposuction methods. Since adults don't grow more fat cells, the results are permanent. Even if you gain weight, the weight will be distributed to other parts of your body that haven't been treated.
How Tumescent Liposuction Works:
One of the most significant improvements over traditional liposuction involves the injection of liquids into the fat cells that are to be removed. This injection helps the tissues swell and become firm, or become "tumesced", thus making it easier for the doctor to actually sculpt the area.
The Tumescent Liposuction procedure begins with a local anesthesia administered to the specific body areas being worked on. Unlike traditional liposuction, which uses a general anesthesia, Tumescent Liposuction patients are fully awake during the procedure.
Then, one or two small incisions are made in the skin to remove the fatty deposits. A cannula, or straw like tube, is inserted under the skin; with slow, gentle movements, the fatty deposits are broken up and sucked out. The cannula is only 3 millimeters in diameter - about the size of a cooked piece of spaghetti. This means that the procedure doesn't involve any stitches, as entry points will naturally begin to close within 48 hours.
After the procedure, patients normally return to work in one or two days, and can enjoy light to medium activities within 48 hours. A light compression garment will be worn continuously for 3 days; after that, the garment should be worn for at 8 hours a day for 2 weeks.
For more information about Tumescent Liposuction at Houston Smart Lipo Centers, or to schedule a free consultation at one of Dr. Bergeron's Houston area locations, please call 713-225-9355.